Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jesus in Shovels

This past week, a woman from Bethseda, Maryland claimed to have spotted an image of Christ on a garden shovel.  The story goes on to describe the occasion on which Andrea Jones discovered what resembled Christ's face in the shovel.

I will not claim the image does not resemble a face (whether it is Christ's or not is a completely different issue).  What I do find concerning is the pure excitement over a mere image.  Do not misunderstand.  I do not believe a images of people are wrong or anything of the like.  Instead, I am worried that we as Christians may be distracted by an event like this.

Consumed with either curiosity or fervor, we may actually miss Christ right beside us.  Matthew 25:35 tells us:  "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." By focusing so greatly on finding Christ in a shovel, we miss Christ in our fellow man.  The poor, the sick, the hurting.  For "40'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"   


Let us not focus on the Christ in shovels and miss Christ when he's right beside us.


Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment